Laura K. Binford Partner
|Assistant's Name:||Lana Neligh|
Laura K. Binford concentrates her practice in medical malpractice defense. She represents hospitals, long term care facilities, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, clinics, and other healthcare providers in the defense of medical negligence claims.
- Represented landowner alleged to have breached duty to invitee to prevent criminal acts of third parties, in which Indiana Supreme Court affirmed grant of summary judgment in favor of landowner, on the grounds landowner did not breach duty to take reasonable steps to prevent foreseeable criminal acts against invitees: L.W. v. Western Golf Ass’n., 712 N.E.2d 983, 136 Ed. Law Rep. 538 (Ind. 1999).
- Has successfully defended healthcare providers in medical malpractice actions before the Indiana Department of Insurance and in courts throughout the State of Indiana.
- Obtained summary judgment on the issue that hospital residents supporting a surgical procedure have no duty as a matter of law to obtain informed consent. Judge Heather Welsh issued a 17 page opinion in support of her ruling.
- Successfully defended and secured an opinion from the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana holding that as a matter of law the provisions of the Federal Nursing Home Reform Act do not create rights enforceable under section 1983. Rather, such claims are governed by Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act. Diana L. Terry, Personal Representative of the Estate of Jack J. McMillen v. The Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County and American Senior Communities, LLC In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division Case No. 1:10-cv-000607-DML-JMS.
- Member of Wishard Foundation George H. Rawls, M.D. Scholarship Dinner Committee
- Member of Harrison College Paralegal Advisory Board
- Member of Scholarship Committee for Indiana Healthcare Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Medical Liability & Healthcare Law Section
- Defense Research Institute, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association, Healthcare Liability and Litigation and Long Term Care, Senior Housing, In-Home Care, and Rehabilitation Sections
- Indiana Health Care Association
- Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Butler University, B.S. (1986)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D. (1989)
- Indiana (1989)
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana