Laura S. Reed Partner
|Assistant's Name:||Rebecca Aldous|
Laura Reed counsels insurance companies, businesses, non-profit organizations, and individuals regarding insurance coverage issues and represents them in litigation arising from insurance coverage disputes and bad faith.
Laura also represents clients in business and civil litigation involving premises liability, product liability, construction, and transportation issues.
Laura currently serves on the Firm's Management Committee (2013-present).
- Represented an insurance company in a bad faith action before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, which affirmed district court’s grant of summary judgment in favor of the client, on the basis that the insurer did not breach its contract or act in fad faith when it filed an interpleader against the insured and numerous claimants, and tendered its policy limits into court, and held that its duty to defend ended upon the deposit of the limits into court: Abstract & Title Guaranty Co., Inc. v. Chicago Ins. Co., 489 F.3d 808 (7th Cir. 2007).
- Obtained summary judgment for insured declaring that he was entitled to underinsured motorist coverage under his employer’s primary and excess auto policies with multi-million limits for severe injuries suffered when he was hit by an uninsured motorist while assisting injured motorists: Spencer v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., 381 F.Supp. 2d 811 (S.D. Ind. 2005).
- Represented insurer in an action in which the Indiana Court of Appeals concluded there was no insurance coverage under a homeowner’s policy for injuries suffered by the insured’s minor guest when she was riding the insured’s ATV off of the insured’s property: Illinois Farmers Ins. Co. v. Wiegand, 808 N.E.2d 180 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004).
- Counseled and represented insurers and insureds with regard to disputes or litigation concerning liability coverage, indemnity rights, and/or the priority of coverage for construction accidents.
Represented clients in the following reported cases:
- Midtown Chiropractic v. Illinois Farmers Ins. Co., 847 N.E.2d 942 (Ind. 2006)
- Auto Owners Ins. Co. v. United Farm Bureau Ins. Co., 560 N.E.2d 549 (Ind. Ct. App. 1990)
- Knight v. United Farm Bureau Ins. Co., 950 F.2d 377 (7th Cir. 1991)
- Hartford Fire Insurance Co. v. Pure Air, 154 F.R.D. 202 (N.D. Ind. 1993)
- Illinois Farmers Ins. Co. v. Adams, 144 F.3d 1129 (7th Cir. 1998)
- Darst v. Illinois Farmers Ins. Co., 716 N.E.2d 579 (Ind. Ct. App. 1999)
- Baxter v. ISTA Ins. Trust, 749 N.E.2d 47 (Ind. Ct. App. 2001)
- Jackson v. Jones, 804 N.E.2d 155 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004)
- Federated Rural Elec. Ins. Exchange v. National Farmers Union Prop. & Cas. Co., 816 N.E.2d 805 N.E.2d 456 transfer granted 816 N.E.2d 1157 (Ind. 2004)
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure and Family Law
- Indiana Super Lawyers (2004, 2010, and 2012-2015)
- Vice Moderator Downey Avenue Christian Church, 2002-2003
- Moderator, Downey Avenue Christian Church, 2004
- Board of Directors, Pension Fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), 2008 to present
- Vice President, North Central High School Band Parent Organization, 2008-2009
- President, North Central High School Band Parent Organization, 2009-2010
- Trustee, Downey Avenue Christian Church, 2010
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation, Tort and Insurance Practice Sections
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Chair of Insurance Coverage Section, 1999
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar: “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists” (1996)
- NBI Seminar: “Insurance Litigation in Indiana” (1995, 1997)
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar: “Advanced Insurance Law” (1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008)
- Advanced Insurance Law, ICLEF (1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008)
- Carleton College, B.A., magna cum laude (1984)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (1987)
- Indiana Law Review, Note and Development Editor (1986-1987)
- Indiana (1987)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana